Rebranding and major contracts at Sparrows
By Euan Youdale12 April 2010
Sparrows, a Scotland-based offshore lifting and handling specialist, signed contracts worth more than UK£36 million (US$55.5 million) in January 2010.
The contracts will create upwards of 100 jobs and range from three-month projects to four-year contracts with options for further extensions. The deals have been signed with Shell, Nexen, Total, Technip, Transocean and Helix Well Ops, among others. Projects range from the overhaul and installation of replacement cranes to long-term operation, maintenance and engineering services supporting entire fleets of cranes on offshore installations.
"This is an excellent start to the new year, reflecting returning confidence in the offshore sector now that oil and gas prices have stabilised at more sustainable levels," said Doug Sedge, Sparrows chief executive officer. "We continued to invest in our people and facilities through the leaner times in 2009 and we are now well placed to respond to upturning client demand."
The contracts come as Sparrows announced the four-pronged group: Sparrows Offshore, Energy Cranes, Aberdeen Hydraulics and Baricon Systems, has rebranded as Sparrows. It has established six business lines to accommodate its range of services.
"Our pace of growth had left some clients unclear as to the true scope of our product and service offerings. Uniting under the Sparrows brand reinforces the depth and breadth of our expertise and resources," explained Sedge.
The business has global sales of more than £160 million ($217 million) and a 1,500-strong global workforce.
Sparrows business lines
- Sparrows Engineering & Operation: providing the widest range of crane services to the market
- Sparrows Rental: delivering fully integrated offshore crane rental services
- Sparrows Manufacturing: producing tailor made offshore pedestal cranes to API specification 2C
- Sparrows Training: providing crane and fluid power training
- Sparrows Fluid Power (formerly Aberdeen Hydraulics): providing the full range of hydraulic services
- Sparrows Baricon (formerly Baricon Systems): supplying pipe and cable laying equipment and services