Mammoet in Germany has taken delivery of a new 400 tonne capacity Liebherr LTM 1400-7.1 wheeled mobile telescopic crane. The new crane, based in Ludwigshafen, increases the maximum available capacity from a 200 tonne mobile crane previously the largest in its fleet.
Mammoet is a contract partner of BASF for mobile crane work in chemical plants at its site in Ludwigshafen. The previous top of the fleet model was Liebherr LTM 1200-5.1.
Hans-Werner Springstein, manager crane work and quality management officer, said, “The Liebherr LTM 1400-7.1 is the best in its class. We have had good experience with an identical crane which we bought in 2008. The crane has very good load capacity values, a 60m telescopic boom and can be set up quickly at the site. The reducible ballast radius is perfect, particularly when operating in constricted sites in chemical plants. It can also be used very practically as a crane in the next lower load capacity class.”
Mammoet also plans to use the crane outside the chemicals industry, for example, to help repair wind turbines, for building steel bridges and assembling prefabricated components. To enable it to cover a wide range of work, the new crane was purchased with a full set of equipment, including an 84 metre luffing jib.
Another important criterion behind Mammoet's decision to buy the LTM 1400-7.1 was the service provided by Liebherr. Springstein added, “If there is a problem, Liebherr is there to help straight away. The high availability of the cranes is enormously important, particularly for jobs in the chemical industry.”
With a head office in Leuna, Mammoet Deutschland GmbH has specialised in crane work, heavy haulage and erection work since 1991. The main focuses for the company are erection, transport and lifting services for industrial plants, and services for industry and the construction sector. The division also completes modification work in petrochemical plants and offers crane rental.
The company has a workforce of 180 in Germany and a fleet of around 50 cranes, more than half of which were supplied by Liebherr.