By Murray Pollok23 April 2008
Speedy's chief executive Steve Corcoran, said, "We are delighted to welcome Justin to Speedy Hire. His broad experience gained in global business will be invaluable and we look forward to his contribution as the Company maintains its continued growth and expansion. Neil O'Brien leaves with our very best wishes and thanks for his valuable contribution to the Group over the years and his typical professionalism in ensuring a smooth handover to his successor."
*Volvo Rents announced that Frank Lopez will oversee the company's Hispanic franchise business development strategy in the US. Mr Lopez is former president and chief executive officer of the US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Foundation, and his association with Volvo Rents is its "...first formal initiative to promote franchise opportunities to Hispanic entrepreneurs."
Volvo Rents said, "In addition to attracting Hispanic entrepreneurs to the franchise program, Mr Lopez will work with Volvo Rents' team to establish relationships with Hispanic trade and industry associations in the US; achieve supplier diversity; and attract Hispanic and minority skilled laborers to franchise positions."
* United Rentals has made changes to its regional management, appointing Steven Nadelman as senior vice president - operations west, with responsibility for the company's Aerial West, Northwest, Rocky Mountain, Southwest and Gulf regions. He was previously United's senior vice president - field operations and corporate real estate.
Matthew Flannery has meanwhile been named senior vice president - operations east, with responsibility for the company's Aerial East, Northeast, Northeast Canada, Midwest and Southeast regions. Mr Flannery has 10 years experience with United, including spells as regional vice president of aerials operations for two regions.
Michael Kneeland, chief executive officer, said, "Our new field structure improves our ability to act swiftly on opportunities to deploy our capex where it can generate the best returns. In addition, we see benefits to be gained by bringing integrated management to our aerial and general rental operations, both in terms of incremental business and enhanced customer service."
The company's specialty rental operations will continue to be led by Paul McDonnell in the newly created position of senior vice president ¬- trench safety, pump and power.
* Arie de Koning has been appointed rental and major accounts manager for Vermeer in Europe. Mr de Koning, who has been with Vermeer for three years, was previously a regional manager covering the Middle East, Scandinavia, Spain and Russia.
* Doosan Infracore Portable Power has appointed Shawn Sweet as vice president for global marketing. Ms Sweet has been with Ingersoll Rand for 17 years and has held positions in sales, marketing, product management and operations.
* Kevin Cook is UpRight's new sales director in North America. Mr Cook joined UpRight from JCB, where he was regional sales manager for the West Coast. His new position involves building a network of manufacturer's representatives to sell across North America and to generate higher sales with larger rental companies.
* Site dumper manufacturer Barford in the UK has filled the new position of export sales director with Ian Atkinson (pictured). Mr Atkinson was formerly territory manager for Hyster and key accounts manager with Linde.
* Kevin O'Shea of Mastclimbers, LLC in Atlanta, GA was elected chairman of the International Powered Access Federation's Mast Climbing Work Platforms (International) Committee at its last meeting during Conexpo in Las Vegas.
* Hanix's UK subsidiary is celebrating 20 years in business and "to celebrate our birthday we thought we'd put out a search for the oldest working Hanix mini-excavator in the UK", says Hanix UK company secretary, Hifumi Ogasahara. The owner of the machine - probably an N80, N120, N150 or N220 model - will win £500. Candidates should contact Hanix marketing at +44 (0)161 335 2330 or email@example.com