One of the UK’s largest contractors, Willmott Dixon, has posted images of construction workers adapting to the Construction Leadership Council’s (CLC) newly-introduced Site Operating Procedures.
The health and safety measures have been adopted by the company to ensure the welfare of staff working on projects during the Covid-19 pandemic.
The company says it is using a combination of technology and working practices to maintain social distancing, including:
- Extra-space for welfare facilities, such as hiring large marquees
- One-way systems for circulation, especially around bottleneck areas
- Toolbox-talks to communicate latest guidance and working practices; held in open areas, allowing for the maintenance of the two-metre rule.
- GoPro technology to film progress, which is uploaded to Microsoft Teams to show latest developments, pause and ask questions. Examples here and here
- Motion activated voiceover systems to remind people to abide by social distancing on site
- Hand sanitiser is available in meeting rooms, desks, and site entrances and exits, with dedicated hand wash zones
- Staggered breaks and lunch times, with clear signage for social distancing in canteens