Seven out of 10 companies who answered a US National Demolition Association (NDA) survey into the effects of Coronavirus on their industry have experienced a work stoppage related to Covid-19.
A total of 117 NDA members participated in the survey, which closed on April 10. More than half of them said that between one and six projects had been affected by the virus, with a similar percentage having between one and three months’ work put on hold, suspended or cancelled.
More than 10% have had all their projects suspended either by the site owner, general contractor or through their own choice.
Other findings from the survey include:
- 90% introduced social distancing of a least 2 m (6 ft 6 in) between employees
- 79% adopted a Covid-19 exposure prevention, preparedness and response plan
- 74% implemented “toolbox talks” specifically addressing Covid-19
- 67% had office staff working remotely
- 37% had laid off or furloughed staff
- 36% had frozen recruitment
- Only 12% said they were not suspending or cancelling equipment purchase and/or capital investments.
More positively, 70% said that construction and/or demolition was included as an essential service in the state they worked in, while more than half said they would only re-evaluate equipment purchase and capital investments as the need arises.
A NDA spokemsan said: ”Results show an industry in a holding pattern with work stoppages, personnel challenges and budget reductions.”
The NDA also reported that it has received more than 1,200 visits to its Covid-19 resource pages on its website at www.demolitionassociation.com