Redcar steelworks furnace demolished

Demolition specialist Thompsons of Prudhoe has brought down the 111 m (365 ft) tall blast furnace at the SSI Redcar steelworks in the north of England

The Redcar Blast Furnace The Redcar Blast Furnace. (Photo: Teesworks)

The Redcar blast furnace - which was built in 1979 and was once said to be the second largest of its kind in Europe - had been in operation for nearly a century but closed in 2015 after the site’s owner Sahaviriya Steel Industries UK entered liquidation.

It was demolished yesterday (Wednesday 23 November, 2022) via a controlled explosion that incorporated the furnace’s associated casting houses, charge conveyors and dust catcher. 

The blow down is the latest of a number of major demolition works to be carried out at the site, which is being redeveloped to form part of a 1,821 ha (4,500 acre) manufacturing hub.

While the site’s Sinter Plant was taken down in August, last month saw Thompsons use 1.6 t of explosives to carry out the demolition of the Basic Oxygen Steelmaking (BOS) plant (part of SSI Redcar steelworks).

Latest News
Peri completes ‘Europe’s largest’ 3D printed building
Peri highlighted that conventional construction methods could not have been used to achieve this design
Implenia reaches ‘record level’ consolidated profit with nearly US$8bn backlog
The company said success across all divisions led to profit and extensive order book
Construction industry update: legal battles, global projects, and educational initiatives
Selection of the week’s biggest stories on Construction Briefing