Top 10 rental stories of 2020
By Murray Pollok22 December 2020
In a normal year we would have expected news about a major rental acquisition or OEM merger to head up the ‘most read’ stories list, but not in 2020. As the list below shows - and you didn’t need telling - 2020 was different, with half the stories either directly or indirectly dealing with the pandemic fall-out.
It is perhaps a relief that some of the articles reflected ’business as normal’, with a comforting focus on interesting new products (Kubota), a major rebranding (Sunbelt) and the promise of glory (rental awards shortlists).
The top 10 stories of 2020 were:
- KHL’s rolling story on Covid-19
- Top 10 rental companies in 2019
- Reassurance about Coronavirus at ConExpo
- European Rental Awards shortlists announced
- Hitachi CME to stop manufacturing in Europe
- Kubota reveals electric mini excavator
- A-Plant rebranded as Sunbelt Rentals
- Briggs & Stratton files for bankruptcy protection
- Demand remains stable for Boels
- UK rental hardest hit by Covid-19 in Europe
The stories also highlight the arc that we went through during the year, from widespread unease in the runup to Conexpo in March, to stories painting a hopeful picture of the impact (the ’Boels stable’ story was posted on 20 March…).
By the end of the year, we were reporting on bancruptcies (Briggs & Stratton survived, happily, and is now under new ownership), and the actual, significant impact on the rental sector.
We published more than 900 pandemic-related news articles on khl.com over the year, a number that tells its own story.
Of course, there is little prospect of a rapid escape from the pandemic, either in real-life or on our webpages, but let’s hope that as 2021 progresses, we start to see pure rental stories taking centre-stage again.
IRN wishes its readers a Merry Christmas and a healthier 2021.