The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) has released new aerial images of construction work on the Olympic Park that show the "big build" on track as the project enters its "toughest year".
The new images of the "big build", which show construction progress is on-track on the ‘Big Five' venues - the Olympic Stadium, Aquatics Centre, Village, Velodrome and IBC/MPC.
The images have been released as the International Olympic Committee's Coordination Commission visits the capital for a progress update on London's plans for staging the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
"With construction work on the Olympic Park approaching its peak, the ‘Big Five' venues are already becoming landmarks on the east London skyline and show how much progress has been made since the IOC Coordination Commission visited," said ODA Chairman John Armitt.
"The external structure of the Olympic Stadium has been finished and the completion of the Aquatics Centre roof gives us an exciting glimpse of what will become the ‘Gateway to the Games' and the Olympic Park's most iconic venue. Work is also racing ahead in the north of the Park with the first residential plot of the Village structurally complete, the huge frame of the IBC/MPC in place and the striking architecture of the Velodrome taking shape.
"The Olympic Park 'big build' is firmly on track but we are not complacent and these new images show the sheer scale of the project and the challenges ahead as we enter our toughest year in the project," added Mr Armitt.
The latest aerial shots show:
- The Olympic Stadium's external structure completed with work starting on the lifting of the cable-net roof
- All five new bridges around the Stadium island lifted into place and the first trees planted
- The wave-shaped Aquatic Centre steel roof structure weighing over 3000 tonnes lifted and lowered into place, along with the completion of the concrete dive pool and work well underway on the two 50m competition and training pools
- The huge steel frame of International Broadcast Centre (IBC) completed and the Main Press Centre (MPC) coming out of the ground
- The steelwork forming the distinct double-curved structure of the Velodrome approaching the halfway point
- The first residential block in the Olympic Village structurally complete and work well underway on all other residential plots
- The foundations of the Handball Arena nearing completion
- The energy centre taking shape and the electricity substation building finished - the first building on the Park to be completed
- Work well underway on 21 of more than 30 new bridges to be built in the Park