Man dies from electrocution on boom lift
By Lindsey Anderson21 August 2013
A 26-year-old man died on Aug. 20 in Holliston, MA when the boom lift he was working from accidentally touched a live power line while he trimmed trees. The unidentified worker had been taken to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston with burns covering his body, but died later that evening.
According to reports, the man worked at Ahronian Landscape & Design of Holliston, MA for more than 10 years. OSHA is investigating the incident to determine if there were any violations of workplace safety standards.
According to the Statement of Best Practices for Workplace Risk Assessment and Aerial Work Platform Equipment Selection, those working in proximity of an area with energized conductors (power lines)/electrically energized conductors should: 1. Identify all potential electrocution hazards prior to commencing work and take appropriate action to prevent any contact with a power source, disconnect and tag out power; 2. Clearly mark the minimum approach distance for the AWP equipment, including the reach of a boom beyond the base. 3. Place markers on the ground to identify them and remind AWP equipment operators of any overhead power source. 4. As electrical work requires a qualified person to perform the work, ensure only qualified individuals assess the risk and determine the appropriate action for safe use in the work area.