Top rental stories in 2011
By Murray Pollok22 December 2011
What were the most popular rental stories in 2011 as measured by views on the www.khl.com website? Well, there are some surprises - Kiloutou's acquisition of Top'Loc was top of the list, higher even than the same company's much bigger acquisition of BM Location a few weeks earlier.
Other top rental stories were easier to predict, such as Cramo's deal to buy Theisen in Germany and the results of the latest IRN100 survey.
The US rental sector is well represented, with United Rentals, US telehandler fleets and Compact Power Equipment Centers (CPEC) all featuring.
It was too early for United Rentals' mega-acquisition of RSC to make it into the top table, although there is absolutely no doubt about its true status as the major rental story of the year.
The top 10 rental stories on www.khl.com were as follows:
RENTAL: TOP 10 STORIES IN 2011
- Kiloutou buys Lyon rental company Top'Loc (November)
- IRN100 rental survey shows flat revenues in 2010 (June)
- Compact Power Equipment Centers raises funds (Sept)
- American telehandler fleets 10% smaller than two years ago (May)
- United Rentals to buy Canada's Venetor Group (April)
- Cramo acquires Germany's Theisen (January)
- Financing charge hits RSC profits buts trends positive (April)
- IRE show and ERA convention start (June)
- Lavendon restructures in Germany and boosts Belgian fleet (August)
- Aggreko to supply 200MW of power for Japan (April)
The www.khl.com website carried a total of 3350 news stories in 2011 across six sectors (Rental, Access, Construction, Cranes, Heavy Transport and Demolition & Recycling).
Many of these stories appeared in our weekly eNewsletters, of which there are now eight editions, covering rental, access, construction, cranes and demolition. In addition, we have eNewsletters in Chinese, Spanish and Portuguese.
In the Access and Construction sectors the top stories were as follows:
CONSTRUCTION: TOP 10 STORIES IN 2011
- Sany opens € 100 million German facility (June)
- Global construction to grow +70% to US$ 12 trillion by 2020 (March)
- ConExpo-ConAgg 2011 catch up - news, products, videos (April)
- Leighton's expectations slashed, Hochtief CEO to retire (April)
- World's longest sea bridge completes deck (January)
- Revenues up at Balfour Beatty (March)
- Earthquake impacts Japanese equipment production (March)
- London Olympic Stadium completed early (April)
- Chris Sleight's bauma China 2010 video review (January)
- John Deere unveils monster truck (March)
ACCESS: TOP 5 STORIES IN 2011
- Terex AWP to launch new scissors, mast boom (January)
- Manitou and Terex extend aerial platform cooperation (January)
- Winners revealed at IAPA access awards in Amsterdam (April)
- IAPA award shortlists announced (February)
- JLG sales up 30.4% but profits hit by cost cutting charges (January)