08 May 2008
For more than 20 years a highlight of the SC&RA Specialized Transportation Symposium has been a candid appraisal by state Department of Transportation (DOT) officials of critical issues concerning oversize and overweight transport.
Among the issues likely to be addressed this year are updates on the permit process, recent steps toward greater uniformity, increased volume of over-dimensional loads and the impact of infrastructure delay. Panelists will be Richard Clasby, Utah DOT; Joe Lee-Civalier, New York DOT; and Michelle Teel, Missouri DOT.
A senior Federal Highwa y Administration (FHWA) official will discuss national policy and strategies to increase safety and improve freight mobility. The official will cover issues relating to size and weight, regulatory actions and strategies to enhance national transportation efficiencies.
Charles Petty, a humorous motivational speaker who has been inducted into the National Speaker Hall of Fame, will discuss the importance of maintaining energy and purpose in life and work. His presentation will include tips on achieving and maintaining a healthy productivity level.
Other sessions include
• Pilot car rules, controls and proper use
• The Environmental Protection Agency's Smart Way Program to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions
• Accident response and effective crisis management
• Effective industry partnerships with the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance and other enforcement groups
• SC&RA transportation goals and accomplishments
• Winners of the hauling jobs of the year contests for 2007 and 2008
• The impact of changes in rules regarding load securement, hours of service and electric on-board recorders.
Still another highlight will be the Exhibit Center, featuring leading companies that supply products and services to specialized carriers. It will be open on two days.
Many attendees will be arriving early for meetings of the Pilot Car Task Force and of regional associations of state highway transportation and permitting officials.
Registration fees are available at $390 for members and $290 for each additional member, $440 for non-members, $100 for government employees and $125 for spouses.
Visit www.scranet.org and click on the Events/Registration button at the top of the page to review the official programme, which includes registration forms for the event, hotel rooms and exhibits. Information also is available by calling SC&RA at +1 703 6980291.