New safety rules proposed for Middle East
06 March 2009
According to Manfalouti, at House of Equipment, the new rules will include the following:
1. Projection of the crane jib over public areas may become forbidden
2. Remote monitoring system on all tower cranes may become compulsory
3. Anti-collision system may become compulsory
4. Safe working loads on equipment, as well as lifting accessories, may follow a national standard
5. Introduction of a compulsory logbook charting major breakdowns, accidents and equipment testing.
6. Limiting the use of equipment beyond a specified age
As this list suggests, the requirements are yet to be finalised, but it will provide a valuable framework under which lifting companies must operate. And as Manfalouti adds the benefits are being recognised in the industry. "There is an extra cost that can be saved in the long run by minimising the chances of accidents."