The New Zealand Heavy Haulage Association has released its Traffic Control Guideline document to its members.
The guideline outlines best practice procedures for traffic control when transporting over dimension and over weight loads. These use the load pilots mandated for use in the industry.
The document provides 11 generic procedures that are well known to the industry for a range of situations. It also includes the traffic control requirements when transporting overweight loads moving across bridges at reduced speed.
Two scenarios are covered: reduced speed in own lane, and reduced speed in a central, offset or opposite lane position.
Several over dimension scenarios covered:
- using the opposing lane of a roundabout
- the 'pull-right' maneuver
- the 'pull-left' maneuver
- traffic sign removal and replacement
- accessing a public road from a work site
- emergency and breakdown management